Mum found a very old pattern, an adorable bag with smocked details. 'Are you sure about this', I asked, of course highly offended she said that she had smocked long before I was born.
So the preparations began, and after stichting the fabric we pulled it together so that the folds would appear.
The thread ends had to be wounded around needles so that the size wouldn't change.
Then came a tricky part: to make the folds all equally apart from each other. After trying that by hand I found a nice system. By using 10 knitting needles and pushing them though, I wonder how we came up with 10 of the same size of needles, but anyway it sure came out handy!
Finally the preparations were finished and mum could start to smock, she did a very good job, and made me proud :)